In August 2015, I wrote a post that talked about 5 things I’ve learned as an entrepreneur and 6 months later, I’ve more to add to the list. We have now grown from a blog to include a blog, digital magazine and marketplace with nearly 35 vendors. As with any business, we have done a lot of growing already. Do we have lots more growing to do? Absolutely! While I list these as things I’ve learnt as an entrepreneur, I’ve found them to be life lessons and apply to practically any situation that I’ve found myself in.
- Don’t wait too long to start. Yes, you want everything to be perfect before you launch but be aware that there is always something more you can do, a feature you can add or a tweak that will make your product better before you introduce it. I’ve found it best to get started and keep the changes coming as we go along. In life too, we sometimes wait too long and just like that, the moment passes by. Don’t let it.
- Find your tribe. I’ve had some amazing mentors who encouraged me to hone in on what I want to do and how to get started and I am so grateful to them. I am sure many people will agree with me when I say that being an entrepreneur is a very lonely occupation and having people whose opinions you can trust is really important. But it’s not just that. There is nothing sweeter than sharing success with those who have rooted for you and to provide that same support back to them. (Likewise, misery loves company too!) You will learn from them and share what you have learned. And don’t forget to pay it forward by mentoring others.
- Don’t take everything too personally. Separate negativity from constructive criticism. Use these suggestions to help make your work even better.
- Which bring me to negativity and negative people. Stay away from them, their drama and their constant undermining of everything. If you need tips on how to deal with them, read this article.
- Enjoy yourself! Don’t put it off for when you are a super-success, have everything you need and have made all the money etc. etc. Celebrate your achievements, big and small. Because it is a process and it is a lot of fun! You are learning new things. All that curiosity and willingness to learn does wonders for your health (1, 2) . You working on your dream. Isn’t that many awesome achievements already?!
Have a wonderful day and do share your thoughts!
Wondering what’s new at the OUATT Market? Right this way!